Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Debian does Clevo M3CW.

*note any links will be provided at the end of the page.
First time running linux on this particular brand of laptop and very little documentation didn't help.
Hopefully, someone finds this handy.

Specs as followed:
1.7ghz Celeron.
2x256mb DDR Modules
Intel 82852 Graphics
Realtech RTL81389 10/100 Network card.
Intel 220gb Wireless.


After running a netinstall of the latest edition of debian and booting into my account, I was surprised with the resolution was correct! First I checked lspic, my wireless was there. I was happy, first time I've ever had to do anything with wireless due to my old laptop having been in a small accident.
Well, after iwconfig was showing nothing. Being tired and just wanting to get the wireless to work I posted on overclockers (an australian online community) after 6 hours or so a reply:
wget http://www.sidux.com/debian/pool/non-free/i/ipw2200-firmware/ipw2200-firmware_3.0-2_all.deb
dpkg -i ipw2200-firmware_3.0-2_all.deb
Just do a reboot, iwconfig and that should be seeing your wireless network - although, the power of this card is shit.

Next issue was video playback, I've found this to be a software problem. Totem movie player will show it to be extremely bright. VLC Media player worked perfectly.

As I run into problems they will be posted :)

No comments: